Scientific Name :
Medicinal Value :
Medical properties include anti-microbial, anti-fungal, hypoglycaemic, anti-ulcerogenic etc. Finds application in traditional medicines of different countries also.
Nutrient Value :
Energy,carbohydrates, Protein, fat and dietary fiber. The remaining portion consists of water. There is no cholesterol present in this herb.
Culinery and Other Values :
Bay leaves are used for flavouring soups, stews, fish, meat, sauces and confectionaries. The essential oil also finds application as food flavouring agent.
- English : Bay Leaf / Cinnamon Leaf
- Tamil : Birinji Ilai / Punnai Ilai
- Malayalam : Karuva Ela
- Telugu : Dhalchichecka / Masala Aku / Biryani Aaku
- Kannada : Biryani Ele / Paththa
- Hindi : Tej Patta
- Bengali : Tej Patha
- Gujarati : Tamal Patra / Tej Petta
- Konkani : Tikepalo / Tikle Pallo
- Marathi : Tamal Patra
- Oriya : Teja Patra
- Punjabi : Tej Patta