SCIENTIFIC NAME :
MEDICINAL VALUE :
Essential for vision and immunity. Protects from lung and oral cavity cancers. Offers protection against stroke and coronary heart diseases. Helps body develop resistance against infectious agents and scavenge harmful oxygen-free radicals.
NUTRIENT VALUE :
Watermelon is an excellent source of Vitamin-A, which is a powerful natural anti-oxidant. Also rich in anti-oxidant flavonoids like lycopene, beta-carotene, lutein, zeaxanthin and cryptoxanthin.
CULINERY AND OTHER VALUES :
Fresh watermelon should be eaten as it is. Cubes or sections of the melon are a great addition to fruit salad. The seeds are roasted and eaten as a snack in some Asian countries.
- English : Water Melon
- Tamil : Darbusini / Kummattikai / Thannimathai
- Malayalam : Thannir Mathan / Kummattika
- Telugu : Puchakayi / Tarbuja
- Kannada : Kallangadi / Kallachi / Karabooja / Kekkarike
- Hindi : Tarbuj / Kalingada / Kalingu / Phuti / Kakri
- Bengali : Tarmuj
- Gujarati : Tarbuj / Karigu
- Konkani : Kalling / Bacchaanga
- Marathi : Kalingad / Karbuj
- Oriya : Kharbuja
- Punjabi : Tarbuja / Phuti / Kakri
- Tulu : Bachchangai
- Kashmiri : He’Nd Wend
Recipes with water melon: